Friday, January 12, 2007

Buzz

As soon as I saw the topic, I knew that I'd be doing something to illustrate the dulcet tones of the whipper snipper. If I was even slightly paranoid I would believe that there are people out there armed with whipper snippers whose aim in life is to haunt me. I really hate those things. Gone are the days when gardening was a peaceful pasttime. Why can't people just let grass creep erratically over their edgings, as God intended? Well, that's enough of a rave about this topic - believe me I could go on...

About the painting: I know it isn't technically very good - I've had one lesson in watercolour several years ago and only used them a couple of times since. On top of that, it's on canvas that I had gessoed roughly meaning to do some mixed media work. Totally wrong! Nevertheless I know I can't blame my support totally. Plus there is a huge compositional error - the shadow from the tree and the whipper snipper should not cross like that. I can see now why artists sketch out their paintings and do studies first.

So...Why did I do this? I just really love using watercolours. I love the translucency and the way the colour floods onto the paper, (well mine does, anyway!) Maybe it's time to do some practice and develop a little technique!

No comments: